Urban lawn watering is the single largest water demand on most municipal supplies. However, there are many ways to conserve water on the home landscape.
- Avoid watering yards between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. when water demand is the highest.
- Learn the water requirements of your landscape plants and water accordingly, avoiding over-watering as much as possible. Over-watering is not only wasteful, it is also unhealthy for plants.
- Make a habit of manually operating your irrigation system and rely less on the automatic controller.
- Take into account recent rainfall amounts before watering your landscape- If it’s already raining, it doesn’t need it.
- Do not water during high winds- Your lawn isn’t getting the water that’s blown away by the wind.
- Mulching reduces evaporation from the soil surface and reduces irrigation needs by approximately 50 percent.
Source: Colorado State University Extension